Wednesday, September 30, 2009

surgery and recovery of Tony Miely...

So that is name of the blog and I believe we are in the recovering stage of things. Today, I wheeled Tony out of the hospital into the sunshine and I could feel his spirit and soul soar as the sun hit his face (hmm..sounds real hippie I know). It is funny what happens when you have been inside for 12 days and you are "an outdoorsy" kind of guy. Your skin looks pale, your eyes lose their luster and you become immune to the recycled air. As we loaded Tony up into the super sweet wheelchair his cute daytime nurse scrounged up for him, I was nervous as I have never been the driver on a wheelchair. I bullied my way into the elevator and pushing dirty faced children into the corner and almost smashed Tonys bandaged foot (yes, it appears as though there was some kind of accident with his foot, but it was the skin grafts and vein transplant that caused such a wrapped up leg) into the wall. As I navigated my way through the hospital entrance and the sunshine hit us, I could feel Tony's happiness brim up. We tooled around the hospital grounds (many of you saw the picture on Facebook where it really and honestly looked like I was pushing him down a hill with a giant smile on his face) and took a few pictures then stopped to just enjoy the sun and wind on our faces.
Ashley from the shop walked up then with two of her friends which was so good for Tony to see and we visited with them for a bit before heading upstairs for fantastic shave and clean sheets. We miss everyone so much and really can't wait to head home to Durango where we are welcomed with open arms and the recovery really begins.

1 comment: