Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Don't Call it a Comeback

Tony here. First and foremost a huge Thank You to all of you who given me your support, the amount of love out there has been phenomenal. My family, everyday friends, the paddling community and people I have not seen or heard from in years coming out of the woodwork and buoying my spirits with words of strength, love, humor and support. The past 10 days have been incrediably challenging and I know that I have a long road ahead. I plan to take the challenges head on and overcome the obstacles thay lay ahead. It will not be easy.
For many of you who know me it is probably suprising that this is my first amputation, I mean I have crashed a lot of different craft in my time. Motorcycles, rafts, kayaks, bikes, snowboards, kites, ect.. I have had pretty spectular wipe outs with all of these. Accidents are accidents though and when your number is up there is not much to do but move forward and make the best of a bad situation. I am super bummed about my situation but I realize that dwelling on the past or on coulda/shoulda/woulda bullshit will not get me my hand back. Instead I am choosing to look ahead and focus on how I am going to adapt to my new world.
My arm is getting tired from typing so I am going to sign off for now. I do want to Thank You all again and let you know you support has been remarkable, please keep it coming, I need all the love I can get right now. Love Tony

7 comments:

  1. We will be there for you the whole way, cheering you on and doing it with you!

    Kahne still wants you to teach him how to kayak!!!!! It is so good to see you posting on the blog! Love you! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony- Wow, it's been many, many years since I've seen you or talked to you. I heard about your accident through various BHS friends. Just wanted you to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. Your positive attitude is amazing and inspiring. I wish you all the best as you begin your recovery.
    Take care,
    Suzie Bell Perkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see you so upbeat...Tina helps with that a lot, I know. I am so glad that you aren't wondering "what if, this/that or something else had happened?" Funny, but that's why they are called accidents, right?
    I am jealous of your snuggie, btw!
    You will continue to be in our prayers.....hope you are home soon - know that's where you want to be. I am off to check the i-limb.....should we start calling you "LEE MAJORS"????
    Neil and Diane Swan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony, really awesome to see you posting on here! Got you and Tina and your family in my thoughts and prayers every day even though I haven't come by in person. I know you'll have that same great support system when you go home to Durango! Take care, keep your chin up and hopefully I'll see you soon.

    Sarah Everhart
    P.S. The i-Limb is cool! Luke Skywalker hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buddy... What the Fuck, all these years all those crashes, only one thing to do. Heal up and fire it back up. I can't wait for you to lead me down another Durango classic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tony,

    Your positive attitude, friends, family and understanding of the meaning of life will go along way in your healing process. Your right about all the wackey stuff you've done, to come out unscaved is amazing. The only reassuring part of all this is you can see the challenges ahead clearly, that will help you in dealing with the day to day issues you have to deal with. Get out of that hosiptal asap,
    it is no place for an adventurious sole such as yourself.
    Love ya buddy, Uncle Marty

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have amazing strength & focus--You are an inspiration to everyone with your courage and attitude--I have been thinking of you contantly & sending all my love your way--I will be there in every way I can to help you through this--I love you so very much--H

    ReplyDelete