Friday, October 2, 2009

What't that you say? A possible hospital release?

The magic words that have thrown carelessly around for a couple days now seem to actually be coming to fruition! We have an appointment with Dr. Ipatchki tonight at 6:30 (which often means 8:30 because of the trauma nature of this hopital) to open up, change the bandages, and check out the situation and give us a full assessment. At that point, we are hoping to be discharged and moved over to the hotel the parents have been staying at for two weeks. Again, if it goes well, we will have another checkup on Tuesday and then can head home to Durango!! Most likely we will be heading back up here every two weeks to check on "The Flap" as the doctor calls it (the flap of skin from T's leg that is now covering his wrist and arm.) as it is a very tempermant Flap and needs lots of attention at all times (hmmm...sound like me a bit?).
Last night was a hard night for both of us for some reason. The weight of the situation was bearing down on us and neither of us could sleep. We talked for awhile about things and slowly drifted off to the sounds of doors opening, faint beeps and an eery glow from the machines.
I can only imagine this is what having a child is like in terms of sleep...."How did you sleep?" "ok, I fell asleep from 10-1145 than fell asleep again from 31o-730 and then I really feel into a deep sleep for 50 minutes or so. Not bad really...." then the nurse parade starts every moring about 5:30 or so with lots of bumbling around and chatting about their mornings as if we are both corpses instead of folks just napping.
We both woke up feeling much better today (and I really must be honest as to why I couldn't sleep well- giant burrito, two cookies and a giant cupcake my mom and I found earlier in the day...all these items combined did not make for a good tummy...)and we are ready to take on a life with just one hand. It seems fine in the morning and we really can't complain in all fairness to the others in the hospital. At least Tony didn't shoot me in the face on our wedding day (guys next to us in ICU) or my gangster cohorts did not stab him and then try and get him again in his hospital room (ICU again) or catch one of Tonys buddies who came to visit smoking crack in the bathroom (a story a nurse told us that happened once......) Tony just lost a hand and is ok other than that. He has his brain, his spine, both his legs and is just missing a hand. We can certainly live with that. Between the two of us, we have three hands and four legs and that seems more than enough.

4 comments:

  1. Don't forget the dogs paws, you have 8 of those!

    And Tina, I bet those snacks tasted so good and sometimes it's totally worth a bad night's sleep! I bet that cupcake was good!

    So excited to hear you will be getting out of there soon! I can't wait to come down to Durango and take care of the both of you!

    We are all thinking of you all the time!

    Kahne got to pick out a toy for getting his haircut with a real hair dresser and not crying about it and he picked out an ambulance. He has been playing Tony & the ambulance all day, it's really cute and makes me tear up watching him. Kahne loves & misses you & tina!! He asks about you guys at least everyday!

    Love You! The Chiappinis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    This has to be your funniest post. I'm LOL at the imagery. With that kind of humor and honesty, I think you' guys will be fine.
    I don't know what you do for a living but if it doesn't include writing it's a damn shame.

    You rock girl, in more ways than one.

    XOXO
    Aunt Karen
    Seattle
    P.S. Tony you must be a bit bemused seeing ME refer to myself as 'Aunt Karen'. Makes me sound so old. (Don't say it! I know what you're thinking.) Well, what can I do? There are 2 of us in this family. Have to differentiate myself somehow.
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jenny....that brought a little tear to my eye and also made me laugh to play "tony and the ambulance". Real funny. That cupcake was maybe the best I have ever had and sadly would love to repeat the situation. Mom and Dad just got here so that will be good for T and hopefully Patti can use her strong persuasion to bust him out of here tonight or tomorrow!
    We are so hoping to be home near the end of next week and so maybe a week or so after that would be fantastic for you to come down...we miss all you guys and love your continued love and support....
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tonybob old chap!

    Sorry to be such a wanker and leave you during your time of need, but the motherland needed me. That bionic hand sounds like the Dogs Bollocks and it should really feel like fresh round of 'how's your father'

    The Italian bird has already come up with spot on idea for your Halloween costume, so you jolly well don't have to worry about that!

    We miss you something dreadfully and can't wait to head home on Tuesday...Over here I cannot decide if I am in heaven or hell:
    All the cars here look fantastic (but have tiny engines), and the Birds are bloody foxy (but with bad teeth)!!!

    ReplyDelete