Monday, October 5, 2009

bills and a sadly sore body from running.

It is a sad day when a 3 mile run puts such a hurting on me. I hobbled about the hotel room last night and woke up this morning with a sore back and aching thighs. Tony assured me that "I did it off the couch" and so I should be sore but I think that is just to make me feel better for not doing anything for two weeks. I think I am sore from emotions rolling all over the place, my husband losing a hand, sleeping on a weird plastic foldout bed then running a 3 mile race which I tried not to cry throughout. I think I am just plain exhausted from this whole situation.
For the first time last night, I fell asleep naturally with Tony beside me and Curb Your Enthusiasm in the background. It felt almost normal and for just one second, I woke up in a bit of a daze and thought I was at home and this was a dream. Sort of like the movies when that happens, but I awoke to amublances outside our window and the brush of Tonys bandages on my arm. I do have to say though, I am glad that my nightmare is just a missing hand and not waking up to a missing Tony. That would be bad.
This morning I got my first taste of trying to sort through all the insurance and hospital bills. Not good. It seems as though the hospital wants quite a bit of your money ($1300 for some kind of cape they put around a microscope to took at something or another) but they do not want you to see the bills nor have much access to them. I waited in room after room while Ken and Patti furiously faxed signed sheets to certain companies and then we would all be shuffled into another weird room alone and left there where our conversation revolved around if we actually thought it was someones office or an abandoned sort of meeting/stock room. The gal that had us in there had pulled up our files and there were some very rigorous notes as to whom has spoken with whom (was it really Tina Miely or her mother in law as it didn't sound like her voice) and yet they couldnot get a simple note in there about the correct insurance. She then left us in the meeting/stockroom and came back and said another gentleman would be speaking with us. A very funny experience and not in the ha-ha way but in the way that made you really want to punch someone in the neck and then start crying. We finally met with a gentleman who gave us the appropriate paperwork but it was only after quite the teethpulling and big fake smiles that he slipped it into my hand. Over three hours just to get a copy of the bill (for about a trillion colones!) that they would like us to pay. Again, just a taste of the next two years to come dealing with bills. I should have known as I have seen Bree struggle with all the bills and the mean conversations I hear her have with folks for when Piper was hit by the skier and he was in the hospital just one night with one surgery. Lord, 6 nights in ICU, the same in a step down unit, and five surgeries is going to be tough.....
On another note, Tony seems to be steadily healing and is getting around a bit more each day. I now don't panic when I seem him heading to the restroom as his footing seems more sure of itself and he isn't teetering quite as much. The pain in his leg has been finally rearing its ugly head but we are both hoping it will heal quickly and he can start moving around a bit. Right now, sitting up in a chair for dinner and a trip to the bathroom is proving exhausting and yet it is hard to sleep with all the pain his body is in trying to heal. He is talking about trying to road ride later this winter (so if anyone has an indoor thingy so you can ride your road bike inside, maybe we can borrow it to see if he likes it?) which is a good positive step forward. We are hoping that tomorrow morning, Dr. Ipatchki will check out his arm, change the bandage and send us on back to Durango. This will be the best case scenario and we will back home to heal in just a day or so. Keep your fingers crossed for us and hopefully the next you read, we will have our departure date!

3 comments:

  1. Tina--Your writing makes me laugh even in this situation--It is very much like th eway you talk whcih also makes me laugh!! Love u sister--I am hoping you two will be back in durango very very soon--If you want me to work on a spin bike for you i am happy to--Let me know--Love you both very much--H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Holl....I think we are looking for that kind of thing that he can put his road bike on so it is actually his bike and we don't have to buy a spin bike....love you.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. T n T:
    I know about bills for just 10 days in a regular room - so you have your insurance pay what they do and send them what you can when you can - they ought to be glad you're not UNINSURED.
    Blessings on you both!
    off to read the next Blog - hope it finds you in Durango!
    Diane and Neil Swan

    ReplyDelete