Wednesday, October 14, 2009

life begins to resume.

Even though life in so many ways has changed dramatically, in other ways it is beginning to feel as though it is the same. It is such a hard thing to express the feelings of up and down, happiness and sadness, anger and bliss and they are all rolled into one creating such a roller coaster.
Tonys has to be one of the strongest people I have ever met. Everytime we change the bandages on his arm, we are faced with exactly what is left of his arm and the reality of the situation. Throughout this process, Tony has kept his head high and his spirit even higher. He faces this new obstacle in his life with dignity, strength and a smile on his face and I am truly amazed by my husband everyday. This is something I have known for many, many years and one of the reasons I fell in love with him all those years ago, but to see it everyday reaffirms what a gorgeous, smart and strong man I have married. As so many folks have said to me, what makes a person is not what happens to you, but how you handle it. Tony has showed me what an extrodinary person he is by how is handling losing his hand.
Today, I was up and at the office early and was there most of the day. He is getting stronger each day and the sparkle is coming back into those big brown eyes of his. He was on the phone today with the folks at TRS (the prosthetic folks) so he could order some new brake adapters for his mountain bike and chatted with them about the paddling attachment for kayaking. He is moving forward to figure out how to create the life he wants instead of letting this dictate what his life will be. We are looking forward to more and more outings in town even if they are just for a few minutes as it is so nice for him to be out and about. His color is coming back and now we just have to focus on putting some weight back on those bones (not something I need to worry about!). Life sometimes isn't sweet and it seems as though we can't get through it, but I know in my heart that our life will resume much the same over the next few months/years and that this will never stop either one of us from having the life we want to create together. No matter what happens, we have each other and all our friends and family surrounding us giving us all the support we need. Thank you all!

2 comments:

  1. Hi T&T,
    Just want you to know Lee and I are happy to hear you are home and moving forward!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. You both are an inspiration! What a journey this has been and I am so thankful Tony that you are home and gaining strength every day. Thinking of you lots, and hope to see you soon. With Love, Kristen D.

    ReplyDelete