Sunday, October 4, 2009

Race for the Cure...

So this morning way, way before the sun came up, Mom, Dad, Lonnie (from the shop) and I all got up at 6am to run the Race for the Cure (Mom and Dad walked). I really don't enjoy getting up that early for any reason let alone to run on pavement for three miles pounding away on my joints, but it is for breast cancer and for that reason alone, we all thought it was a good idea. After Tonys first night out of the hospital, I was very reluctant to leave Tony in the hotel room, but he just about kicked me out the door (I really think he just wanted to whole bed to himself for a couple hours!). We had a bit of a rough day yesterday as they cut some of the nerve pain meds out so he is feeling a bit of new pain feelings in his arm and that is surely uncomfortable. For me, it was just about the best thing in the world laying on the bed with him beside me not hooked up to all kinds of machines and IV's. It surely feels like a vacation now if you can call not being in the hospital a vacation!
So, the race in the dark. Lonnie and I were also meeting Bree's little sister Shay and her roomate Devina at the starting line to try and stay together somewhat. As we arrived, there are thousands of people in all kinds of pink outfits (wigs, leggings, boas, etc...even a couple guys dressed as bananas!) with some folks wearing tags on their backs with names of ladies who were lost to breast cancer or folks they were running for. As we came to the top of the first hill, my emotions almost overtook me (oh my goodness! all these people are coming together to help overcome such a horrible situation and working towards something positive!) but having Lonnie running right beside me, Shay just ahead of me and mom and dad behind me, I felt loved and secure. As Lonnie and I hobbled through the finish line (one can certainly feel two weeks of sitting in a hospital chair) we high fived and I sighed a breath of relief. Now I can go back to the hotel and sit with Tony and kiss his face. This was the best finish of all.

2 comments:

  1. Yea for discharge from the hospital and getting to share a bed together ;) I am so inspired that Tina and family did the race for the cure event.. awesome! Thanks for keeping us updated and I am thinking of you Tony every day. Kristen D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your race, Tina - in solidarity with you, I decided to take a hiatus from exercising as well last week/weekend. Does this mean my sedenatary vacation is over and I have to go run 3 miles in a banana suit now?

    ReplyDelete