Tuesday, October 6, 2009

He is getting skinnier and I am getting chubbier....

How is that possibly happening? We just realized that Tony has lost 20 lbs (according the scale in the hotel gym that he hobbled on down to while I was diligently trying to walk-walk-walk away the candy I have been shoveling in at mach speed) while I myself feel like I am not going to fit into the seat in my Honda Element. Somehow it has seemed like a free for all and I can now see why folks in a trauma situation find themselves on The Biggest Loser in a matter of months.
We went to the clinic this morning for another bandage change and follow up with Dr. Ipatcki and had an appointment at 8:oo am. These waiting rooms are germ filled and about as boring as it gets. Ken was actually texting Patti, them timing how long it took his text to reach her phone. 8 seconds. That is all it takes for a text from Ken's phone to reach Patti's phone. Just 8 seconds. Tony was not amused as much as I was by this because he has been in ICU and so drugged up and in pain while the three of us (plus my mom and Luke for many days) were rattling around the waiting room for hours and days on end. You also realize that in this kind of trauma situation, you can not really even read a magazine while you are waiting. Most of you who are reading this know that I am a voracious reader and I have not been able to make it through a People magazine. Every second you look at the clock and then back at the door hoping that your surgeon will pop his head in. You don't even want to go to the bathroom for fear of missing the doctor. After 17 days (yes, we have been here for 17 days), you find small ways to amuse yourselves that require a short attention span. Hence the game of text-timing.
At any rate, we waited for two hours and at 10:00 am we were brought into the examination room. The bandages were removed and I have to say, Tony and I were both so excited when we saw his arm. The swelling is down and it just looks so good compared to Friday, and his leg is healing well. I myself, am quite squeamish when they are pulling the tape/bandages off (think open wound and ripping extremely sticky plastic clear tape off it) and often have to sit down or try and amuse myself by texting Bree incesantly so I don't have to watch. These texts are ofter misspelled (as Bree can attest) but at least I am occupied during this.
All the staples were also removed from his foot and his thigh and now the healing can begin. Afterwards, we loaded up the car and drove to Jerusalem (no, not the country but the fantastic mediterranean lunch place) to get Chicken Schwarma sandwiches. Things are starting to feel normal again, we are just down a hand which really seems to be workable for all of us. Don't get me wrong, the tears can often spill at strange times (REI for me today) but they don't come as forcefully and they go away somewhat quickly as soon as the moment passes. We are headed back to our beloved little hamlet of Durango tomorrow and really cannot wait to see everyone in just a few days....We cannot tell you all enough how much we appreciate the support and love we have both felt througout this process. And don't worry, I will keep blogging just as much and keep everyone posted on Tonys recovery...I am even going to figure out how to post pictures so folks can see the progress!

5 comments:

  1. Home, home, home!!!! So excited for you two!
    It will feel good to pet your dogs and sleep in your own bed! Miss & love you! I will keep sending healing energy your way! Love always, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have watched Tony and Tina go thru so much these past 18 days....you have read the blogs so you know some of the story, but not all of it. Their spirit and love for one another has seen them thru these first few weeks and they are so excited to be going home to Durango tomorrow and be reuited with their pets and friends and be in their own home again. Yes, Tony looks a bit thin and Tina, Ken and I have been eating food without really tasting it...I think it was for strength and Ken and Sherry always made sure we ate something and not miss a meal.....I guess we were trying to eat for Tony! Tony has more staples and sutures to be removed later this week and then he should be free from metal and string! He is still bandaged and splinted, but the dressings are much smaller and they even gave him a hospital shoe as he has a slow healing area on the top of his right foot where a vein graft was done and cannot wear a regular shoe on that foot at this time. It was so good to see a sparkle in his eye today as he ordered 2 meals for lunch from a restaurant near his old neighborhood in Denver. Anyway....going forward and wishing quick healing for Tony and strength for both Tony and Tina during this healing process. They have been amazing and their strong love has seen them through.......we love you both so much. Know that our love and support are with you through every challenge and every moment. We are with you...can't wait to get out of Denver and get you home to Durango!
    Hugs and Love, Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you are headed bak home to Roxy Butch Q and your friends there. I know you can begin to move on and I am so happy ot hear that Tony is feeling better and his wounds are healing. You are lucky to have each other and wonderful parents. Know that I am here for anything you need. Tony, I know you are not one to ask, but please do. Tina, sister, know i am always available to you. You have been in my thoughts every day and I know togethger you have the strength to move through this and anything--I am sending you all my love and strength--

    Mom & Dad--You are amazing parents and we are all lucky to have you--

    Love to all--H

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are all trying to make me cry....
    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. take off a hand and 20pounds lighter....hummmmm
    thats all it takes...
    thought that would make you smile..can't wait to see you...suzannaQ

    ReplyDelete