Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Said goodbye to our old friend Butchdog.


Above is a picture of our dog Butch's last Sonic hamburger yesterday. Tony and I both knew this day was coming (I have thought this days was coming for 12 years!) and yesterday was Butch's time to say goodbye. This past week during Thanksgiving, he back finally gave out and Tony and I were taking turns carrying him everywhere as his back legs were too wobbly to hold him up. We knew it was time, but had to wait until 5PM yesterday to get an appointment with out vet. We decided together that he loved Four Corners Riversports (Tonys shop he co-owns with Andy) that we wanted to put him down there so he could spend his last night peg-legging around saying good bye to the shop kids as well as customers. Most of the day he layed on his bed in front of the heater, but would wag his tail generously when folks came up to say goodbye to him.
I got Boodog when I was just 23 years old and have never had to put a dog down before, so this was a very hard experience for me. Bree and I just started a new Big Brothers/Big Sisters volunteer program yesterday from 3-4 so I knew I had to hold it together at least through Study Buddies before the deed was to be done. As soon as I pulled up at the shop at about 4:45, the tears started and didn't stop until well into the night.
Tony being the strong husband that he is, supported me through the whole thing. We both held his head in our laps and stroked his fur (hmm, would I call it fur as it is about the bristliest "fur" I have ever pet) until he slowly faded away. I think this brought all kinds of emotions to the surface for both of us and it proved to be a long night. I woke up this morning wanting to ask Tony is he let Butch out, but then my memory came back of the previous night and I held back the tears. As I sit in my cubicle, I am trying to hold it together while Bree keeps it all together for me.....

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss retrieving butch when he runs away to BeauJo's. He was such a slow mover until no one was watching. If you turned away he would be all the way across the parking lot but it took like five minutes to walk him back. I never figured that out. I'll miss ya though bud!

    -Niko

    ReplyDelete
  2. boo boo butch dog. thinking of all the windows he jumped out of... including mine. all the food he would eat and the gas that would follow . i sure loved on my bulldog peaches last night. our thoughts are with you. As for you butchy dog keep running strong and catch that ball buddy! Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the flowers today Q. That was so so sweet of you....
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor baby boo. love you partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Butchy had a great Thanksgiving with everyone in the family, especially 3 year old Kahne, feeding him whatever he wanted. It was so cute to watch him lie there and wait for all the snacks......no one wanted to see him struggle to get up for food so he was waited on like the royal dog he was. Butch will be missed by many, and his beautiful spirit will go on forever. Love, Mom & Dad M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ten Good Things About Butch:
    1. He jumped through screens...often!
    2. He chewed on many rocks when visiting Grammers in Rockport, MA, resulting in work needing done on his teeth!
    3. He strolled through Durango, finding pizza shops and other goodies, frequently when he lived in town.
    4. He would be picked up by Tina or Tony at the "dog pound", many times!
    5. He endured other pets coming into his home, especially putting up with Posie!
    6. He sat on a ledge with two goats once on either side of him (Horse's Gulch??) on one of my many walks/hikes with him.
    7. He made sure he spent lots of Tina's/Tony's money every year on vet bills!
    8. He loved fireworks! He acted like he could barely walk yet jumped through the 2nd floor screens on 7/4 two years ago, landing on slate (now with blood and no Butch) and walked just fine (okay, a little wombly) the next day.
    9. Barked, barked, and barked until you would throw stones when he was younger..and barked!
    10. Was a loving dog, giving all of us many years of pleasure and fun, having a personality all of his own that made him the prickly butch dog!
    Okay, these were actually the 10 good things that Butch loved! ...and many other things too, like his Roxy girl! I love you Butch....and I'm so glad you had Tina and Tony as your Mom & Dad!! Hugs to you both! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are sorry for your loss, but your kindness in not letting him suffer is the best gift you could have given him....

    ReplyDelete